@SoBad - Okay, I’m ready to post an update of my testing thus far, but because 1) I just had an amazing flight mission, and 2) I’m old and love to tell stories, this will be an entirely, and unnecessarily, long report.
3 1/2 days ago, I started an evenly matched Rolling Fire in KTO with Veteran skills set. The moment I started the campaign, I selected and took over control of the 35th Fighter Squadron in Gunsan Airbase, deciding and fragging all of the missions. It’s been going well-- I spent the first 15 hours or so gaining control of the sky, and I’ve been supporting ground units near the DMZ ever since. The campaign is doing very well, slowly & steadily.
I had shut down Kwail Airbase early in the campaign. In the last couple of missions, however, my packages had been harassed by red air in southwestern North Korea. I discovered that Kwail had been repaired and was 100% operational again. So…
I put together a multi-flight package and did a little experimenting. For me, this was an opportunity to test my updated damage values on certain munitions AND a test of challenging mixed objectives within our flight.
I fragged a 4-ship OCA Strike, Mako1, with the following loadouts:
Mako 11, GBU-39 SDB x8, taking out various targets around the airbase
Mako 12 & 13 - each GBU-38 (500lb) HE x 4, to take out larger targets.
Mako 14 - GBU-31v3 2000lb AP x 2, to take out the runway.
On the Recon/Targets windows,
Mako11, I assigned myself designated targets to Spt. 91-98
Mako 12 & 13, I assigned ONE larger building to each one (because you can only assign ONE target to the other planes in your flight)
Mako 14, I assigned the middle of the runway.
I worried that they would put all of their ordinance into the ONE target they each had been assigned. But like I said, I was experimenting, so let’s find out!
Accompanying us was Mustang 1, a 2-ship ESCORT flight out of Osan Airbase, and Hawkeye 1, a 3-ship TARCAP flight. Early in the campaign, I had decimated Air Defense Battalions along the DMZ, so I didn’t need a SEAD flight.
The amazing Campaign Brain put together a scheduled flight, and coordinated us marshalling around a common steerpoint 3, after which we headed out-- TARCAP in front about 20nm, ESCORT ahead of us about 15nm, and our flight acting like we owned the sky.
When we got 30nm out from Kwail Airbase @ 20,000ft, I was within release parameter with my SDBs. So I issued, “Flight, Weapons Free Air-to-Ground”. They went into attack mode while I Target Steerpoint designated 91-98, dropping a SDB on each, one after another within the space of 30 seconds from 20nm away. I then set my auto-pilot for my Egress point and went outside to watch everything.
First, my amazement of how well, and how flawlessly, BMS’s campaign AI processed EVERYTHING. My SDBs, of course, hit each of their designated targets. Mako 12 & 13 each hit their designated target with ONE munition each, and then proceeded to go repeatedly in and out dropping ordinance on DIFFERENT large targets on the airbase, like they knew what I had intended and hoped they would do.
Mako 14 dropped his first GBU-31v3 right on the runway at the designated spot, and then came around and dropped his second AGAIN on the runway, but about 300 yards away from the first one, again, like he understood my intentions.
In the meantime, my escort is shooting down fighter planes, and even strafed a prop plane into the dirt (I happened to see it). The TARCAP also shot down two fighter planes.
The sophisticated coordination just blew my mind. It was a complex mission, and it went flawlessly BEYOND my expectations. The amazing work that BMS has done with the AI is just beyond my ability to praise it.
Now, about the munitions whose damage values I had adjusted. The debrief was as reasonable and realistic as I had hoped. No munitions behaved like they were over-modeled because of my adjustments. Overall, I had about 66% ‘destroyed’, and 33% ‘damaged’ being reported. More importantly, I did NOT have any instances of 100% kills or 0% kills.
I still want to test further, but I think that the damage values that I modified and use are much more realistic.
Hope everyone enjoyed this brief report.