Yesterday we released the first version of the new interactive map for KTO, ITO and Balkans:
This map is developed together with our friend Tech from the 440th VFW. He was so kind to let us use his work.
This map is WIP and will be further developed in the future with new features and will be optimized for hopefully all possible devises.
- Locate airports and navigation beacons and request their information by hovering over them
- Measure distances and headings
- Mission.ini/Pilot.ini drag and drop
- White boarding to use for briefings (4 colors)
- Bullseye placement
- Weather import (.fmap drop)
- Weather charts (Temperature, Doppler, Winds, Isobars)
- Route Waypoint dialog (step through waypoint actions, heading and distance)
- When dropping .ini or fmap while modal dialog is open will open the file.
- Zoom function not working yet
- Empty your browser cache to make sure you use the latest version
- Fixed doppler offset with the gradient filter
- Fixed ruler (swaped the distance and heading in the measurement)
- Added ITO + Balkans theater
- Route Waypoint dialog (step through waypoint actions, heading and distance).
- .fmap Drop and processing
- Weather charts (Temperature, Doppler, winds, Isobars)
- Settings Dialog (Layer visibility, Chart selection, Unit selection and winds at altitude)
- Map dragging as default mode.
- Minor bug fixes
- Fix loading Pilot.ini
- Set Bullseye to default for Theater
- Draw Target Triangles for waypoint actions (e.g. Strike, Bomb, etc)
- Added new layers so Whiteboard/Ruler/Bullseye can be used in parallel correctly without deleting each other
- Added “In use” button color
- Added distance information between STPTs
- Updated KTO 4.36.1 charts
- Added Bullseye function
- Added 4 colors for whiteboard function
- Added whiteboard function
- Added mission.ini drag and drop function
- Fixes for Windows browsers (Chrome +Edge)
- Landing page updated
The interactive map has been tested on both MacOS (Safari, Chrome, Firefox) and Windows 10 ( Chrome, Edge, Firefox). On all these browsers the features are fully functional.
To Find and airbase or airstrip, select the desired airport from the selection list at the top left of the map. The list has the airports grouped by country and airbase/airstrip. Once the selection has been made the Interactive Map will draw a red highlight circle around the selected airport on the map and focuses your view on this airport.
You can also hover over an airport to see its name in a tooltip to identify it on the map.
To see the information for an airbase, airstrip or VORTAC simply click on it (the mouse pointer will change when there is a clickable item). Once clicked the information will be displayed on the top left:
- Airport name and ICAO identifier
- GPS location
- TACAN info for navigation
- Radio frequencies for ATIS, Operations, Ground, Tower, Arrival and Departure control
- Charts for the selected airport
When clicking on an airport chart a new window will be lauched to display the chart. Subsequent clicks on chart links will display in this same new window. If you desire a new window or tab in the existing browser then right click on the chart-link and request Open new tab/window.
In fullscreen mode the default browser behavior is opening a new tab.
For a VORTAC only a few items are listed:
- Type (Approach or Enroute)
- Range but can fluctuate based on Altitude. The higher the more range.
To measure distance and angle simply click the mouse and hold and drag the ruler from the start point to where you are aiming while moving. While holding the mouse button pressed the system will update the distance and angle when you mouse the mouse.
When you drag and drop a Mission.ini file onto the interactive map you will see the preplanned threats, flight plan with waypoints and the steerpoint line markings. This is useful when briefing in conjunction with the whiteboarding.
In whiteboard mode you should not use the ruler and if you do you will ERASE what you have drawn. To start drawing select the pencil from the toolbar and start drawing. You can use the eraser from the toolbar to erase sections on the whiteboard (this will also erase .ini data).
You can select clear/delete icon from the toolbar to remove all the markups and redraw the .ini data.
You have 4 colors to select and the color will be reflected on the toolbar when drawing is active.
To Reset everything on the map you can select the reset icon at the bottom of the toolbar.
Go ahead and give your briefings with the Whiteboard option and share your screen with Discord or Jitsi.
Althought bullseye is target_25 this is not stored in the mission.ini or pilot.ini. However by
selecting the bullseye icon in the toolbar you can enable/disable the bullseye and when enabled you
can drag the bullseye to the location.
The BMS fmap contains a lot of data that that should be processed and put together to form a pitcure of the weather. Instead of showing Weather type, pressure, temperature and other
sections of the fmap. The Interactive map renders a simulated doppler that combines,
weather type, pressure, temperature to generate a picture. It looks for low pressure areas
and thunder cells, temperature gradients for fronts and blends the temperature to determine
if you have rain or snow.